As no doubt you are aware England has once again entered lockdown due to Coronavirus. In consequence we have no choice but to follow HMG'S instructions and close the club
In the meantime:-
- Please do not use the club or lake from now onwards for any activities.
- Cessation of all scheduled events until March, including Y&J, Saturday Sailing, Racing and Paddle-sports. Hopefully we’ll be able to reopen earlier but we’ll have to wait and see.
- All Dutyman duties have been cancelled until further notice and will be reallocated once we know when we can reopen.
- The bar is closed, including for take-away
- No food service will be available
- Members are permitted onsite to check on boats for essential maintenance only
Hopefully we'll get the virtual regatta going again soon and the Thursday evening virtual bar, so please join one of those which will help pass an evening or two...
Rest assured that we continually review the situation and will re-open as soon as we’re able to.
Due to COVID-19 restrictions we are only allowed to host under 18 "events". Consequently an Under 18 handicap series.
This is being run on 2 basis:- Firstly using MSC normal handicaps and Secondly using personal handicaps.
The racing will be run as aa single race on Sunday mornings with a 3-2-1-go start program. The results are then recorded as per normal club handicap races. The personal handicaps will be altered on the basis of the top 3 and bottom 3 (on handicap) finishers in each race. (If more than one race is run in a day the handicaps for that day will remain unaltered, but affect the next day's racing.
1st, 2nd and 3rd places will have their handicap reduced by a handicap reduced by 3, 2, 1 respectively. Eg Laser finishing 1st will have its Handicap altered from 1092 to 1089 etc
Last place, 2nd to last and 3rd to last will have their handicaps increased by 3, 2, 1 respectively. Eg a topper finishing last with a handicap of 1365 will have its handicap altered to 1368.
Thankfully restrictions are easing a little from December 2nd and tomorrow night we have the first ever MSC AGM via Zoom so please do join and your evening will fly by! We'll be talking about this year and plans for next - you should have been sent details on how to join by Sarah.
The good news is that with lockdown ending on-the-water activities can resume with Y&J planned for the next two Saturdays, racing to restart on Sunday 6th, the AI and PB2 training can continue and we'll have the usual Christmas series. For anybody wanting to paddleboard or social sail there will be safety boats on the water for the next 2 weekends whilst the AI and PB2 courses are running. I'm sure there will be a flurry of activities over the next few days and we'll endeavor to get the calendar updated ASAP.
As no doubt everybody is aware a new set of COVID-19 restrictions come into force on November 5th which mandate us to stay at home except for specific purposes. Full details can be found here
Whilst it is permitted to exercise outside with your household, support bubble or 1 person from another household the instructions also say that outdoor sports facilities including golf courses, swimming pools etc must close. Whilst the news suggests that there is lobbying of government to allow outdoor activities to proceed as things stand today there are no exceptions for sailing or paddlesports. Hence the combined GPC and SC has taken the difficult decision that the club will be shut from Thursday 5th Nov to 2nd December.
The Handicap and Pursuit start times have been revised a little since April2020 release These affect the following classes :- Laser (ILCA) Standard Rig, Laser Radial, Topper.
The latest version can be found at Here.
As a club we have now got through this very strange summer, with lockdown, Social Distancing and some of the biggest turnout for sailing and Paddle Sports in the Club's history.
The racing has now returned to the Normal Layout with Handicap racing on the first Sunday of the Month, and Pursuit / Fleet racing the other weekends. There are however a few minor tweaks as following
- Sign on must be via the website, there is no manual written sign on available. This is available from 0100hrs Saturday until 10:00am Sunday
- Maximum 6 boats per jetty. Once launched please sail off to leave room for others
- On Pursuit races, the committee boat will no longer go through the fleet, but competitors must hold position and sail through the finish line.
- On fleet racing competitors are to leave the committee boat to port, except when starting and finishing (unless instructed otherwise).
- The Handicaps for the Lasers have changed from 1087 to 1092 (Pursuit start 6); Laser Radial changed from 1150 to 1147 (Pursuit start 9) and Toppers to 1365. (Pursuit start 22)
In May the Club started League based Match racing on a one to one basis. This started as a single competition but has ended up being the norm for many to get on the water and enjoy themselves. At the same time the Paddle sports section saw an increased informal use of paddleboards, kayaks and similar on the water.
In July more formalised dinghy racing started and paddle sports. To ensure we could be as Covid 19 secure as possible, we have taken the following actions