While we all miss real sailing so much, why not enjoying Virtual Sailing and race each other every week on the screen? The RYA has enabled 1 year VIP access for clubs in the videogame Virtual Regatta, and we will be running races every Thursday evening and Sunday at 8pm.
The game is actually quite fun and free to play. You can create an user and start playing right away. Just access to this url below, and you can either play from your browser in a computer, or download the app on your phone. https://www.virtualregatta.com/en/inshore-game/ You can start playing now and enjoying Virtual Sailing at your leisure at home :)
We are looking at Custom Races for Maidenhead Sailing Club members only every Thursday evening at 8pm.
If you are interested in participating on our Virtual Regatta Racing Series:
- Install the game, create an user with your nickname, and start practising!
- There will be 3 races every Thursday and Sunday, from 8.00pm to 8.30pm approximately. First race will start at 8.00pm sharp, and the other two will start right away with a couple of minutes break between races.
- To join the Thursday Club race, just click on Custom Race, and in the section Join, click on the icon with a lock. The code to join the private races will be available from WhatsApp group, but it only works if the race has been created and it is about to start
- If you are interested on helping organising races on Thursday (as a sort of Virtual Race Officer), please also contact me, and I will give you the club credentials to organise the custom race, so if I'm not available, someone else can do it. Good thing here is that the one organising the race is also racing, and with some additional perks like Auto VMG.
- We can capture results and create our own Maidenhead Sailing Club Virtual Racing Series
The guide to the game can be found HERE
According to RYA instructions, underage participants are welcome to join Virtual Regatta too, but please observe the Guidelines of Keeping Safe Online in the following link:
P.S. If you also want to polish your navigation skills and sail across the oceans, feel free to try Virtual Regatta Off-shore
The combined GP and Sailing committees have just reviewed the current situation and agreed that all scheduled events will be suspended until further notice, however we will continue to review every 2 weeks and hope that activities can resume as soon a possible. We have also decided to provisionally reschedule the club Open Day for Saturday July 4th and will be working on putting together a programme of training and events over the summer months. More details to follow on this in due course.
Please do read the club newsletter when this arrives in your inbox as it will include more details on the RYA Virtual Racing game which proved very popular with members last Thursday evening with other races planned. We are also looking to setup a Zoom conference call on Sunday for anybody wanting to drop by and have a chat. If you've never tried video conferencing before but have a smartphone or tablet it's really very easy and we'd love to hear from you!
The Six Nations rugby games will again be shown this weekend in the MSC club bar, with a special offer this Saturday. As the game at 2.15 has been postponed, we will jump straight to the evening session with Pizza and a Pint £6 from 4.30 pm. Please drop a note to Jo if you are joining for pizza.
Please join us on 21st March form 7pm to discover the story of Cal Major, who became the first person in history to stand up paddleboard (SUP) from one end of the UK to the other, Land's End in Cornwall to John O'Groats in Scotland; a voyage of just under 1000 miles, unsupported, in 59 days. The mission was to highlight that wherever we are in the UK we're never too far from plastic pollution affecting our beaches, ocean and waterways, but that despite the severity of the issue, hope and positive action can be found the entire length of the country.