Due to the recent government slight easing of some of the restrictions we can now return to the water. Below is our Commodore's email after a long online meeting of the COVID-19 action committee.
MSC is pleased to announce that members are welcome from tomorrow (Weds 13th May) to resume using the lake for recreational sailing and paddleboarding. I mentioned in my earlier email that we were developing a Red/Amber/Green approach to resuming activities and hence we are now at the Red stage where the following restrictions apply:-
- Social distancing to be followed at all times – guidance here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/staying-safe-outside-your-home/staying-safe-outside-your-home
- Leisure / recreational sailing and paddleboarding permitted. Double handed sailing only permitted with same-household members
- New members applications welcome (experienced sailors / paddleboarders)
- Maintenance activities permitted
- No use of safety boats unless in emergency
- Under 16’s to be accompanied by adult household member
- Only use of club toilets permitted. No access to other areas except in emergencies
- Change at home
- Bar and kitchen closed
As gatherings of more than two people are NOT permitted under current rules there will be no scheduled racing, formal training or instruction at this stage. Hopefully when we move to the Amber stage this will become possible.
So please do go and check over your boats and get out on the water. The lake level is still high and a beautiful blue colour but exercise caution as you are responsible for your own safety. Whilst we all love to go sailing in a good breeze consider how you’d recover from a capsize… Consider the use of a mast float, a long painter and restrict your sailing area.
- Race hut - repairs to roof
- Clubhouse – general outside cleaning
- Gates – clean and repaint
- Gate area – clear shrubbery
- Ramp area – clean and paint decking / handrail
- Bar Veranda – Clean and paint
Hope to see you all (from a distance!) soon,