In May the Club started League based Match racing on a one to one basis. This started as a single competition but has ended up being the norm for many to get on the water and enjoy themselves. At the same time the Paddle sports section saw an increased informal use of paddleboards, kayaks and similar on the water.
In July more formalised dinghy racing started and paddle sports. To ensure we could be as Covid 19 secure as possible, we have taken the following actions
· On line registration for the day’s racing. Enabling Track and Trace if needed.
· The details are then sent to a handheld tablet, which controls all the sound signals.
· The committee boat can be run by a single race officer who then only has the flags to put up.
· The tablet is used to record laps and times and can send the details to update the race records.
· Only six boats are allowed on a jetty at a time, to prevent congestion and possible transmission of the virus.
· No use of changing facilities, or clubhouse
· All loaned equipment washed down and sanitised after each use
IF YOU GO TO THE CLUB, AND USE YOUR OWN EQUIPMENT< OR TO RELAX, HAVING NOT BOOKED EQUIPMENT OR ENTERED FOR RACING PLEASE SIGN IN THE BOOK YOUR ARRIVAL AND DEPARTURE TIMES. THIS IS TO ALLOW TRACK AND TRACE TO BE IMPLEMENTED IF NECESSARY
Thursday evenings have been used as a test bed for the technology and a second person has been used to verify the data. Previous years’ turnouts had produced between 8 and 25 entries. What was not expected on the first evening was 23 boats. This has increased to 38 competitors in the evening!
After racing there has been an informal BBQ where everyone has been carrying out the new normal – Social Distancing.
Sunday racing started on the 2nd August with 2 pursuit races. Again 38 competitors in fine conditions.
Youth and Juniors
In July the club ran two weeks of Youth programs, introducing paddle sports and sailing to the younger members of the club, with their parents.
In addition Y & J have been running two sessions on Wednesdays and a single session on a Saturday (Currently all places are fully booked)
Social sailing has restarted on Saturday afternoons, with boat hire available please go through the electronic system to pre book.
There have been organised events all summer, but some of these need to be pre booked, along with equipment.